Budget Movers provides a
Free in-home estimate
free in-home, no obligation
estimate to give you the
best idea of cost and range
of services available.
We suggest that you start the
moving process at least four
weeks before your scheduled
This will provide you with plenty of
time to complete all of the details that
4 weeks• File a change of address form with the Post Office.
• Notify creditors, magazines and book/music clubs of your new address.
• Retrieve your family’s medical records and ask doctors and dentists to
recommend a colleague in your new city.
• Decide which items can be sold, discarded or donated to charity.
• Complete your own inventory of each possession, including date purchased
and estimated value.
• Notify the local utilities at your origin/destination to have service turned off/on
• Notify your children’s schools, your church and other organizations of your
3 weeks • Decide which items you will be packing yourself.
• Sketch out a general floor plan of your new home to determine the placement
• Make a list of important names, addresses and phone numbers, and be sure
to take your phone book with you.
• Notify Budget Movers if anything about your move has changed (dates, etc.).
• Make arrangements to move your plants and pets.
• Contact your bank and transfer the contents of your safety deposit box.
• Check your homeowner’s policy to see if moving is covered by your insurer.
• Transfer insurance to cover fire, theft and personal property at your new home.
2 weeks • If shipping an automobile, top off fluids like oil and antifreeze, but make plans to
have the gas tank less than half-full
• Plan your own trip to your new home and make the necessary travel arrangements
for your family.
• Arrange for the proper servicing of all appliances at your origin and destination.
• Dispose of flammable items such as gasoline, matches, bleach, cleaning fluids
and aerosol cans.
• Discontinue regular services like newspaper delivery, trash pick-up and lawn
• Finalize your plans for larger items (TV antenna, swing set, trampoline, etc.).
1 week • Arrange for the payment of Budget Movers at destination. Unless your move
is being billed to your employer or previous credit approval has been secured,
payment by cash, certified check or money order is required before unloading.
• Transfer bank accounts so you don’t lose any interest.
• Make arrangements to disconnect/connect local phone service at your
• Determine which items you will be taking with you (jewelry, etc.). Pack and set
them aside in a designated area.
• Use up all frozen foods or give them away.
• Drain the fuel from lawnmowers and other gas-powered equipment.
1 day before • Pack a box of things you’ll need as soon as you arrive at your new home.
Take this box with you, or have Budget Movers load it last and unload it first.
• This is usually the day packing is done; verify all packing services have been
performed before signing for them.
• Defrost, clean and dry your refrigerator.
Moving Day • Plan to be at your current home when Budget Movers arrives and throughout
the loading of your shipment. If you’re not able to be there, make sure the
driver has the name and number of the person you’ve designated to oversee
• Check the condition of your goods as they are inventoried and loaded.
• Make a final tour of your home/property and verify that nothing has been
• Sign the Bill of Lading, double-checking that your new address and phone
number are correct.
• Lock all doors and windows and turn off all switches.
Moving in • If possible, arrive at your new home a day early to make sure utilities
• Plan the placement of major items in/around your home.
• Be on hand to pay the driver prior to the unloading of your goods.